Sunday, July 11, 2010

Shane Loorham Top 6 Design Icons

Montreal Biosphère at Expo 67 (and more generally the Geodesic Dome) Richard Buckminster Fuller 1950's

I love Fullers domes, awe inspiring structures that make Sci-fi seem real. During this work he developed the principals behind and coined the term "tensegrity". A more recent example of a similar structure which I absolutely love is the Eden Project.





Postscript 
John Warnock and Charles Geschke in 1982.

Its how we graphic designers do what we do. A great leap that put design on the desktops of millions.
Obviously this has lead to a great range of undesirable results, (my mum laying out flyers) but you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.



MEXICO 68  
Lance Wyman

Lance Wyman is a classic and a pillar of design for anyone involved in branded environments or wayfinding systems. The 68 Olympic brand and the role out of communications are among the best in history for me. They define an era and carry so many strong graphic characteristics. I love this for its op-art references, and could easily have put Bridget Riley in this place but felt this is more relevant as the application of her principals as a design outcome.



Jumping Castles (and inflatable structures)
John Scurlock, 1959

The first inflatable structure was designed and invented in 1959 by John Scurlock in Shreveport, Louisiana who was experimenting with inflatable covers for tennis courts when he noticed his employees enjoyed jumping on the covers.






Baby Fat Milton Glaser 1971(ish)

The most outrageous typeface ever, by a favourite graphic designer of mine who's work in the 70's was I likely a major influence behind most of the toys I grew up with and was as such pivotal in my developing years and early interest in design. He is obviously more famous for I heart NY among other classics.






Casio F-91W Designer sadly unknown to me
 

It was the first watch I received as a kid in school, perhaps for my 12th birthday or something? I really felt like a grown up when I received it, but it wasn't too long before I upgraded to something 'cooler' (I hate teen me in hindsight). I needed a watch with an alarm when travelling recently and bought the cheapest watch I could find, it happened to be the same watch. I just rate it for being so prolific and doing everything it needs to do. It wasn't the first and didn't revolutionise anything in particular, but it is truly accessible, prices vary, normally in the $7.50 - $15 USD range.

1 comment: